Thursday, May 18, 2017

Repost: Remembering my Grandparents

Remembering my Grandparents



My lolo, grandfather, from my father side was about to file his candidacy as a representative of his town. He and his friend was about to establish a school in that town too. He traveled to Manila to settle some businesses. My father said that the ship he was aboard was bombarded by the Japanese marines. He had so many dreams for his family, together with some pertinent documents, all ended up and gone in the ocean in just a wink of an eye. My father can't recall much about my lolo because he was less than a year old when that tragedy happened. My father married my mom in his mid 30's.

My lola, grandmother, from my father side was a teacher by profession. My lola had a Spanish blood. After my lolo died, she was left with four children, two boys and two girls. Perhaps, having found a man that loves her and her dear children, she remarried and had a daughter. My father was the youngest. My father said, he was left by his mother to his uncle when he was five years old. She promised that she'll return, but she didn't. Some says that my lola gave him everything he wanted. I can't remember which happened first. I don't know the whole detail, but I think my father became rebellious to his mother but remained a good student. He went to Manila to become a lawyer. The first time she saw me and spent sometime living together was when my father brought my mom and me to Cantillan, Surigao del Sur, Mindanao, their ancestral house. I was less than a year old then. The last time was when she visited us and stayed in our house in TS Cruz, Novaliches, my first time I saw her in person. She spent a few days with us, then finally bade farewell to life while she was asleep. She was around 80 years old.

My tatay, grandfather, from my mother side used to be a UNION president from one of the biggest companies in Sta Ana, Manila. He had a motorcycle accident. My mama said it was UNION related, someone hired to kill him allegedly. Though fortunate to have out lived the sad ordeal, he suffered memory lost from time to time and his family life was never the same again. Before he died, he didn't remember any of his family, not even me. My mother was young when she got married but she was the youngest of the family of 7 children.

My nanay, grandmother, from my mother side used to tell us her experience during World War II. She said, she was an orphan, living with her relatives. Her aunties were old then and she was a kid. She used to go with her friends to gather some palays in the field and once she got enough, she will get back to the tunnel where they hide from the Japanese occupants. My nanay was a diabetic. One morning, she didn't wake up. She was in a comma. She spent sometime in the hospital, only the machines were keeping her alive.

Remembering my grandparents is one way of thanking God. I might someday suffer the same fate of my grandparents. In one time successful, and the next moment, in a snap of a finger, some of them didn't know what had hit them. In one time in pain and suffering, in a twink of an eye, some of them will wake up come judgment day.

Philippians 1:21
For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Ephesians 5:20 NIV
always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

2 Corinthians 9:15
Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!

Colossians 3:17
And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

December 11, 2009 at 1:51pm
Mouse Gestures

Back
Forward
Scroll up
Scroll down
Switch to previous tab
Switch to next tab
Close all tabs except current
Close current tab
Open new tab
Close all tabs
Refresh current tab
Stop loading
Scroll to bottom
Scroll to top
Reopen closed tab
Go to home page
No action

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're welcome to write your related comments and you're solely responsible for what you write. Thank you.